In the old days if you weren't at the ballpark the only way to follow a baseball game was to listen to the play-by-play on the radio. Then came the advent of television and later the Internet, so one could be anywhere in the world and keep up with each pitch and crack of the bat.
And now there's Twitter.
I've been following the Durham Bulls Twitter feed for the past couple of months, mostly out of curiosity as I'm just a casual fan. But this morning I work up to see the overnight feed from TweetDeck and was stunned to see 17 posts from last night's Durham v. Gwinnett game. It was so much fun to read them and see the final result that I decided to repost them all below. It's not quite like being there but I think it's a close approximation!
* Gwinnett scores a run in the top of the 1st with no hits. Lead 1-0 with the Bulls coming up.
* Riggans yard. Tied at 1.
* Gwinnett has taken a 3-1 lead thru 4.
* Bulls trying to get back into this game. Scored 2 in the 6th and now trail 6-3.
* Bulls are 2 for 9 with runners in scoring position so far tonight. Need to change that.
* Make that 2 for 10 with runners in scoring position. We need a clutch hit from Reid.
* Reid did come thru and the Gwinnett lead has been cut to 7-5. We still have runners on 1st and 2nd with only one out in the 7th.
* A comeback tonight is big because Syracuse swept a doubleheader tonight. The loser of the game will only be 3.5 games up for the wild card.
* Heading to the 9th and we are still trailing 7-5. Need another 9th inning rally.
* 2-outs, 2-strikes bottom of the 9th and Reid just crushed one into the RF stands. We are now tied at 7 and will head to extra innings.
* We head to the bottom of the 11th with the score still tied at 7.
* We now head to the 13th and we have run out of pitchers. Ray Olmedo is now our pitcher.
* We now head to the 14th. Crazy, but Ray Olmedo is back on the mound. Can he hold Gwinnett again?
* Timmons just hit a solo shot off Olmedo. Gwinnett leads 8-7.
* Need another 2-run miracle in the 14th. Olmedo did all he could, but Gwinnett scored two and now lead 9-7.
* Bottom of the 14th and the Bulls have runners on 1st and 3rd with one out trailing 9-7.
* Elliot Johnson has just struck out for the 5th time tonight, but this time the bases were loaded. We are down to our final out.
* Unbelievable. Weber did it again. Full count, 2-outs, bases loaded in the bottom of the 14th and Weber hit a walk-off double. Bulls win 10-9
Amazing! Check out the video of the late-game heroics on the Bulls' website. Go Bulls!